Monday, February 13, 2012

DIY Salvaged Mirror

Oh Monday- you come to quickly. I can't complain to much thought because we had a very full weekend. A rare miracle happened here in Altus, Ok over the weekend; almost a rare as seeing a unicorn. Wait; those don't exist and having a date night with a The Hubs hardly ever exists either so I guess it's partly true. 


We actually had 2 date nights! Con-Man's M.D.O. group had parents night Friday so we caught a movie. We watched Safe Room (I wanted to see The Vow but the Hubs wasn't interested, but watching Ryan Reynolds was fine too...)



Hello!!!!


And then on Saturday we went to the first Annual Altus Chocolate Festival! This is a big deal for our small town- they've never done anything like this before.



We managed to score free tickets and I devoured way to much chocolate. Definitely hit the gym Sunday and going again today! It was a nice Pre- Valentines treat though.

Anyway- lets get to what you really came here for. Check out this cool circle mirror that I made!






Would you believe me if I told you the frame started out as this:


A rusty steel ring from one of our planters. It had come loose and I thought it looked neat- a nice patina of rusty and worn smooth. I yanked it off and got to work. 

First I had to make it usable. I needed some kind flat hanger that I could attach plywood to my steel ring. I found these, they seemed sturdy enough but had a lip on them, so I used the cutting wheel of Dremel to cut the lip off.



Voila Flat hangers! Sometimes they just don't make what you need at the hardware store so you have to invent your own stuff...



Then the fun part- welding! I welded the hangers onto my steel ring.



The next step was to cut a piece of plywood that would fit inside my ring. I had half a sheet of 3/4" ply lying around so I traced a circle and cut it out with my jig saw.



Like my "workbench"?


I had a little trouble with this part, the ring itself had a slight slant inward and turns out it's not a perfect circle. So I had to finagle my plywood a bit to get it to slide in. But in the end it fit and I screwed it in place.


Thankfully one mirror and glass place here in town said they could cut a circle to fit. I called the one other place and they said they didn't cut mirror or circles- what gives? They adhered it to the plywood for me and my mirror was complete!





I love it because it's unique. It had a modern flare but the rustiness makes it kind of natural and relaxed feeling. And the overall cost wasn't to bad- $40 for the mirror to be cut and glued. The clip/hangers were $4 for all. The ring was free!



Have you ever used a material for something other than it's original purpose? 

18 comments:

Ange said...

Great idea! Love that mirror, something unique and fun. Sounds like chocolate fest was a good time too. Who doesn't love chocolate? Well I mean besides my daughter.

the cape on the corner said...

great thinking with the mirror! how was safe house? it's definitely something the boyfriend would be into seeing, but is it something i can enjoy as well?

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

I love it! It's so pretty and unique! I'm also glad I'm not the only person in the world that uses finagle. My college roommate used to make fun of me for it!

elyse said...

what a great idea, how creative! it could also be a vanity tray for perfumes or make up or a breakfast tray if you finagled some handles for it--just in time for valentines day breakfast in bed :o)

Simply Tasheena said...

WOW! You did an amazing job! I would love for you stop by and link up at my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Delightful
Ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Sherry said...

You did a beautiful job!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

This is great! I really like it. Can you tell me about the equipment you use for welding?

Julie E said...

This mirror rocks! We have some Barrels around the house (side effect of the Mr.'s job) and he wants to saw them in half. I could probably steal a binding ring in the process.

I'm following from the Linky Blog Hop. :)

Mally said...

That is pretty awesome Great job. It looks great.

cathy@my1929charmer said...

What a really cool idea, your mirror rocks. I would never look at an old wine barrel bar would into something so unique. Really creative! Thanks for sharing your creative inspirations over at Sunday's Best. Follow you on Linky!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness...looks so GREAT! Thanks for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity! I can't wait to see what you link up at my party tomorrow! I LOVE following you...you're so inspiring! Just a little reminder, my giveaway for 1000 free FULL color business cards ends at midnight!! Stop by and enter to wiN!

XO, Aimee

How to Nest for Less said...

HOLY COW!! Such a great idea. Looks amazing girl! Thanks for sharing at my linky party this week :)

Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil said...

This is super cool! I truly love it and want one for my own house!!!

Jessie Gunderson said...

Oh man, now I need a welder! Looks like fun. I love power tools.

I'm wondering though, how many came for the mirror vs the man. lol

Rachel said...

What a unique frame for the mirror! Love it!! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Love your salvaged mirror, and digging the fact that you can weld! :)
gail

Cassie Bustamante said...

this is such a cool and unique idea! love it!

Sarah @ Home Sweet said...

Oooh! I love it! Now... what do I have lying around that I could turn into a mirror...?