I built the bed following plans I found on Anna White's website for the Haley Twin Bed. Pottery Barn doesn't sell this bed anymore bed as we know the beds they do have for sale cost around $400 - $600. I built this one for $150- wood, hardware, paint and all. It took me a while to finish because I only worked on it 1 day a week for 3-4 hours in the wood shop on Base.
I won't go into to much detail of how I put it together since Anna's plans are pretty easy to follow, but I will tell you about some things I learned along the way. This is my first real wood working project so if my descriptions are confusing I apologize. If you need clarification let me know!
First off- if your going to build this bed keep in mind that her wood supply list only included material to build one of the support storage benches. Thankfully I realized this while I was buying my wood and not after!
The support benches came together pretty quickly.
One thing I changed about her plans was where the support legs went. On the outer box I put the legs on the ends like the plans stated. But in the inside of the bench I moved the legs in so you wouldn't see them under the footboard.
Then I built the headboard and footboards. One of the things not explained well in the plans was how to attach the legs of the head/foot boards to the center panel. The legs are 2x4 and you'll have a hard time finding screws long enough to screw through that and into the panel to attach it. I took a picture of how I did this but it was lost on my crummy camera. Basically I drilled 4 3/4" holes about 2" down into the side of the 2x4 legs. Then used a 2" screw and long drill bit to screw them into the panel. Then filled the holes with 3/4" dowels. You can't see it to much after I painted over it.
I drew a diagram of how I attached the legs so it would be easier to understand.
Then the doors. Anna's plans do not describe the doors. I measured the width and height and cut all my pieces to size. Then used dado joints to create the frames. I routed out a space in the center and filled the opening with plywood panels.
After doing the finish/ touch up work (sanding, smoothing out rough edges, filling in screw holes with wood filler) I painted the bed with white paint. I used the kind for door trim. It's durable and goes on smooth.
Then it was time for assembly!
I used these corner braces to attach the headboard and footboards to the storage benches.
Evidence that Con-Man was "helping" me while I assembled...
And the finished product! I have bed rails for it but took them off for the pictures. I just need to find some hinges to fit the doors and buy some baskets for the other cubby holes.
I love how the bed turned out and I also love all the extra storage it gives us!
Con-Man is enjoying it too.
And be sure to check out how I made the duvet which is a knock off of one I saw at Land of Nod! and the wooden Step Stool.