Monday, June 11, 2012

Vintage Trophy Wine Stopper

Hello All! We're back from a whirl wind vacation- we drove down from Oklahoma to Louisiana. Then over to Texas and back up again. We've been gone for almost 2 weeks visiting family one last time before Tiny Falcon #2 shows up (I'm almost 35 weeks now!!) 


It was great seeing family and friends but I'm glad to be home again. 


I have a quick and easy DIY for you today. While I was home in Houston my Mom informed me that it was really time for me to get the last of my stuff out of my room; you know since I'm 30 and all... (is it sad that I'm referring to something of my own as "vintage"?)


I've cleaned out a lot of it but some things still linger. One of those things are my old soccer trophy's. I was a big soccer player back in the day. I played from 3rd grade all the way into college. So needless to say I had a lot of old trophies hanging around. It's hard getting rid of things like that so I decided to keep one of them and thought it would be neat to make something out of it.



I had seen this article a while back which gave me my inspiration for this little project; a trophy wine stopper!



 I started by taking the trophy apart and scrounging up an old wine cork.


Since my cork was used I utilized the hole already made by the cork screw. I used a Philips Head screwdriver to deepen and widen the hole. If you use a new wine cork you may need a drill with a 1/8" drill bit to start the hole.



I wanted to make doubly sure my soccer girl stayed on the cork, so I dropped a little Gorilla Super Glue into my newly made hole and some on to the top of the cork. Then screwed the Soccer Topper on.



Done! Seriously I think it took me longer to type this post then it to do the actual project. Now I have an awesome wine stopper that will always remind me of my past and of one of my favorite activities. And it was FREE! Triple Score (or as we say in soccer speak a Hat Trick!)





How do you hold on to old memories? Did you have a hard time getting rid of all the things in your childhood room?

I was also left with the marble bases from the trophy. They are Carrara Marble so I didn't want to throw them away; need to think of something to do with them next!



3 comments:

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Haha that's so neat! Excited to see what you do with the marble!

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure said...

Awesome idea I'm now going to be on the hunt for fun trophies at thrift shops :-)

karen@somewhatquirky said...

This is really funny! So cute. Curious what you will come up with for the marble....