Monday, May 13, 2013

DIY Upholstered Headboard

Happy Belated Mothers Day to all Moms, soon to be Moms, Grandmothers, and Moms to four legged friends! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I celebrated by going on a date with the hubs Saturday night then spending family time Sunday hiking and grilling. We thankfully had nice weather all weekend.

And- is anyone else reeling from the season finale of Revenge? OMG!!! Declan dead? What was he doing in that building anyway? Nolan framed? Padima alive!? Aiden maybe dead? Emily finally tells Jack the truth! (And does he feel dumb for not realizing it earlier or what) I'm dying for next season already.

Anyway- I also spent some time finishing up the upholstered headboard for our bedroom! 



I started this project a few weeks ago and despite my promise to myself to finish it quickly it never the less took longer than expected. It started smoothly enough- bought fabric, nail heads, foam, and batting. Wrapped a giant piece of plywood, stapled it all together then proceeded to hammer down the nail heads.


Then screwed some wooded legs on and thought I was done.


But the shiny brass nail heads were bothering me. They were too shiny and fake looking. So I ordered some Rub N Buff online and fixed that problem in no time. 


The change is subtle but I think overall it makes a huge difference. Now I was finished~






What do you think? I like it better than our old headboard. I used 2" foam so it's nice and soft to lean against as opposed to our old one which was metal. And I like how the headboard has a traditional feel which plays off the ultra modern wall covering panels. I think it balances it out nicely. 


Oh ya, see that dresser in the background? It's a new much needed find! More on it later. :)

2 comments:

Mally said...

This looks fantastic. I love the dark blue. Goes great with the back boards. Great job. I've got to try this.

Courtney said...

Looks beautiful Rachelle! I notice the difference after the rub n buff, and agree...much better! I'd love to give this a try one day;-)