Thursday, September 5, 2013

Getting A Handle On It

Sorry for the lack of posting after Labor Day Weekend- things have been busy around here as of late! Just a quick DIY for you today. Do you remember back when I mentioned our old house was the gift that kept on giving? Well it's still giving two years later and we don't even live there anymore!

I had saved several old door knobs from our 1930's house and brought them with us when we moved. I already used most of them but still had the glass one left to make something out of.



For the glass knob I made this:


Pretty simple but I like the contrast of the glass and the old salvaged wood. The wood is left over from my Pallet Texas, the knob and key hole from our old home. 

I just cut some wood down to size, sanded, screwed the key hole on, then predrilled a hole to screw my door knob into. 




(Only picture I had depicting screw in a door knob)




Simple and effective! Have you created anything for free lately?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love old glass handles - most of the homes I've lived in have had them ( all ancient homes lol ) what a great idea to put them on back plates they look gorgeous!!!
I once made a housecoat rack out of them.......
XOXO

Feral Turtle said...

I can't believe how simple this was yet how elegant it is. Good job Rachelle! I was reading about your family reunion. That's incredible that it happens every year! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Great idea for a glass door knob and back plate. I've been reading your blog backwards, Enjoyable.
Joy