Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Coming through in a Clutch


I was planning on using my new welder but some other projects took precedence. First, my sister's wedding was this past weekend! I was the Matron of Honor so I naturally had to get a bridesmaid dress. We had to have the dress hemmed and at the suggestion of my mom I asked them to save the leftover fabric for me; thinking I could turn it into a purse to match the dress. I thought this would be a quick project to get my creative juices flowing.



There was quite a bit of leftover grey silk fabric but not quite enough for the type of purse I had in mind. I remembered some leftover fabric I had from some chairs I had reupholstered and thought I could use that as the lining. So my purse could be sophisticated on the outside and funky on the inside. ;) Once I had gathered all my fabric I measured my wallet to get an approximate size for the purse. It was about 4" x 7" so I needed my fabric to be 5" x 8" wide for the seams and for any little mistakes I might make along the way.



Since the leftover fabric was odd cut out shapes (long thin strips about 5" tall) I had to cut and sew 3 together to get the size I needed for the outer portion. The above picture is after I has sewn the 3 together.


For the lining I cut one solid piece from my leftover upholstery fabric. I added a credit card pocket for convenience. I simply traced one of my credit cards, cut the fabric piece out, and centered it on the lining.

Then I sewed the silk and lining pieces together. It was looking a bit flimsy so I slipped some lightweight cardboard from the back of a spiral notebook in between them before I sewed it closed. I had to cut 3 pieces to size- one for the front, one for the back, and one for the flap.





Before I put the cardboard in the purse I had glued some magnets to the cardboard to act as a closer.





To finish it off I used a pin I had for decoration. It fit perfectly with the theme of the wedding which was in New Orleans. The purse matched my dress perfectly and I think I will use it again! It only took 2 nights after work to finish it up (most of that time was spent trying to remember how to use my sewing machine!). Now I'm tempted to hit up thrift stores and Marshalls to get old dresses and cut them up for this purpose!





It matched the bridesmaid dresses perfectly!


You could even do this with an old bridesmaid or prom dress you have laying around. Maybe you could use the fabric to make pillow covers or a clutch like this.

Linking up to Visit thecsiproject.com

12 comments:

Mal Pal said...

So cute and creative.

clustres said...

Very nice!

decdiva1 said...

very cute idea! i wish i could sew, i can only do a little at this point but i'm learning! i bet all the bridesmaids wanted one! you could sell those! great job!

Sassy Sites! said...

CUTE!!! I love your blog! Great ideas! I am your newest follower. Stop by Sassy Sites and say HI! :)

Kaysi said...

Super cute!! I love the fabrics that you used!

Nancy's Couture said...

Great idea!!!

anne maskell said...

Very nice! Perfect for an evening out!

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

This is so pretty!
Thank you for sharing!
Leticia

Brandy said...

Great job.

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

Fun to use part of the dress to make a clutch. I bet everyone loved it. Thank you for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays!

janimal said...

It really looks great - what a fabulous idea! Nice work. I must remember this!

★All Thingz Related★ said...

Sorry I am late getting to see your project...thanks for joining us last week for Anything Related! ~Bridgette