We used the drum from an old washing machine as the pit. Luckily we found one that was already out of the washer, I wasn't sure how to take it out otherwise.
We thought it would be a cool idea to use old feet from a claw foot tub as the legs. We scored these from an antique shop- $10 for all three since they were mismatched. Otherwise they would have been much more!
Since we were lacking heavy duty tools we had to enlist the help of one of the architects to help us put the whole thing together. He cut a grill to size and fit it inside the tub.
Then he had to cut metal "leg extenders" to make the claw feet all the same height.
Then using a heavy duty drill, he drilled holes in the feet and in the bottom of the tub. Then secured them on the bottom. A piece of sheet metal was added for extra stability.
All the feet screwed on together.
We used Fire Resistant Paint, otherwise I think it would burn off the first time someone used it.
There's not a lot of color choices with that type of paint (mainly used for BBQ pits and car parts) but the red really makes it pop!
Here's a picture of it all lit up!
The competition is tomorrow where it will be auctioned off and hopefully will win a prize!