Friday, September 10, 2010

Showing Our Spirit

Something you may not know about me; I am a HUGE football fan! This is my favorite time of year, not because of cooler weather but because of football. My favorite teams are my LSU Fighting Tigers and of course my Black and Gold Boys the Saints!


It was a big deal last year when the Saints went to the Super Bowl for the first time (And WON!). We were invited to a Bowl watching party and I wanted to represent my team. But since we live in San Antonio now there was no Saints gear to be found. So I had to resort to making my own:



Now it's football season once again. Mine and the hubs' shirts still fit, but little Con-Man has grown out of his Saints outfit. So I thought I would make one for him similar to ours using the same technique.

(If you don't share a love for the Saints you can use this technique to create any kind of shirt! I made a bunch for my sister Bachelorette Party.)

I bought him a black T-shirt from Walmart and using Word I typed up the image I wanted then cut it out using an Exacto knife.





Once I had everything cut out I centered it on the shirt front and taped it down. I also slid a magazine inside the shirt so the paint wouldn't bleed through to the back.


Using a short stiff brush I used fabric paint to transfer the wording. 



I did two coats of the gold paint since the first coat didn't show up well over the black fabric. Then I used white puff paint to highlight some of the wording.



This technique is pretty easy, I was able to get the first coat done while Con-Man ate his dinner.

(Gratuitous Shot of Cute Baby)


Front all done:



Here he is wearing it:



I also did a design on the back using the same technique:



So anyone else excited about football season? Do you think you could use this technique for another purpose? I'd love to hear about it!

20 comments:

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

So cute and creative. I love me a little Who Dat baby!

PS: Ladyfanatics.com has reeeally good Saint apparel at decent prices. I just ordered this yesterday.

http://www.ladyfanatics.com/NFL_New_Orleans_Saints_Ladies/Reebok_New_Orleans_Saints_Ladies_White_Retro_Burnout_Stripe_T-shirt

Shelle said...

Who Dat!!!

Too cute! The shirt is, too. :)

Visiting from New Friend Friday. Off to explore some more.

Allison Shops said...

How cute (but Roll Tide!)
Followed your link over from Fab Friday. Hope you'll drop by Giveaway Friday and leave a comment for our bedding giveaway.

Allison
Atticmag

Leah said...

Hi! Popping in and following from New Friend Fridays. Wow, that shirt came out great! *go Pats!*

Fowl Single File said...

I'm all about supporting my team, but official apparel is so expensive! I love this idea. I'd totally make hockey shirts for my whole family.

Kelley said...

awesome job! I love it.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Awww, too cute!

Star Talks said...

LOVE THIS!!! My husband was born in Bossier City, LA so we are huge LSU & Saints fan too!!!! :) We are of course glued to the TV today. I adore football season!!!

Anitra Cameron said...

What a great idea! And what a completely adorable baby. =oD

I can see using this technique for a whole lot more than t-shirts, too. Thanks for the tutorial!

notyet100 said...

t shrit is so cute

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Rachelle...

Ahhh...simply adorable! Ohhh..and really cool t-shirt too! Hehe! Your little guy is soooo cute! Thanks for joining in with the fun of Sunday Favorites this week!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Red Head said...

It looks great, I love the back too! Have you ever tried freezer paper? I've heard that's super easy.

Megan Gunyan said...

Sooo cute! Great job!

Miss Merry said...

I don't know which is cuter, the t-shirt or the model - okay, it's the model. He is just adorable. What a great idea for a theme t-shirt. I'll be the bachelorette party ones were terrific, too.

Robin Ange said...

This is the one idea that I have been meaning to try but have yet to get the guts to do. I know slacker! Thanks for the inspiration and I love the Con-Man!

Thank you for linking up to Upcycled Awesome number 14!

Crystal said...

So cute! I'm going to have to make some of these this year probably for basketball season.

Nikki said...

SUPER cute!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day!!!!! :)

KimMalk said...

What a cute little saint :). Thanks for linking to FFT.

Ginger said...

Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Ok, not a Saints fan but love these. Thanks for linking up to Beyond the Picket Fence's Under $100 Linky Party