Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fabulous Reader Questions

I received an email from a reader with a great question about my recent ceiling fan revamp:






Loved your finished look on the ceiling fan update.  A question...how did you keep the paint from getting into the fan parts?  I'm wondering if it would be easier to use a brush-on paint to avoid this problem?
I have at least 4 fans that I plan to attack soon.
Thanks!
Kim in IL



Great question Kim! I actually hadn't thought about how the paint might affect the fan motor (I usually get an idea in my head and just go for it which can be a good or bad thing). I hadn't turned on the fan since I painted it since it's been cold.


But I'm happy to report I turned on the fan for a good while this evening just to see how it did and it's working fine. I also inspected the inside of the motor and it didn't look like much paint got through the holes at all. So apparently my old fan was ugly but it's still in great shape. I hope this encourages anyone who was hesitant about trying this to go for it!


And for anyone who missed it here's a before and after of the fan in question:





And while we're on the topic of question and answer I received an email from Mary who saw my post on the Anthro Inspired Cupcake Holder made by my friend Samantha. She was wondering what I thought about using super glue instead of Gorilla Glue like Samantha suggested. Since I had not tried the project myself I unfortunately did not have an answer for her. But she tried it herself and had some insight for me that I wanted to share with you:




Hey Rachelle,

I commented on your blog a while back about using the hot glue on the cupcake stands.



I wanted to update you on the results of the hot glue. It did NOT work! Heh. The plates instantly stuck together once they touched making it impossible to make adjustment. It seemed like the glue was going to hold, then three days later they all pulled completely apart. I had to start all over and super glue them. So, I should have listened to you and definitely done it right the first time. :)



Thanks for your response!



Mary




Thanks for the tip Mary! I thought hot glue could have been an option but I guess not! Thanks for the advice.

If anyone else has questions about some of my projects please feel free to ask!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are truly the most creative one! Your fan looks great! It looks completely different. We need our ceiling fans around here!
Thanks so much for popping in to see me and your kind words.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Wow that looks so good! I am now following you from the hop and would love a follow back at http://mizzreviewlady-mommyreviews.blogspot.com/
Thanks so much!

Rebecca said...

I did this to my fan as well a while back and didn't have any issues. I took the blades and the "arm" that held it onto the fan. I sprayed the main part that's attached to the ceiling and the arms silver then the blade white as you did. Looks so much better and still runs great!