Monday, April 1, 2013

DIY Safe Deposit Box turned TV Console

Of all the projects, furniture redos, and DIY's I've done I think this one is my favorite. From grimy green safety deposit boxes buried underneath piles of junk in a local thrift store to this:

A new television console in our bedroom.


Here's a quick recap of what we started I started with and how I fixed these guys up-


I've always dug the industrial look.So when I saw these Army green safety deposit boxes leftover from a bank tear down years ago I knew they were for me. They were in generally decent condition, one of the boxes was missing, some paint scrapes, and lots of cobwebs. Unfortuanetly I wasn't able to unlock all the boxes- that is why some of them are sticking out further than the others.




After a lot of cleaning and sanding I painted the boxes and then since they originally stacked on top of each other welded a steel "apron" across the bottom to hold the boxes together. 


The apron also conceals this wooden support beam that runs under the bottom.


I ordered some hair pin legs off Ebay and screwed them to my support beam.



Because the boxes were meant to stack on top of each other they are not the same height. To remedy this issue I cut and stained a wooden top to even them out. I think the warm wood gives a good contrast to the white paint and makes the console not feel as cold and industrial.


And Voila Fini!! 


The individual boxes are removable, so I rearranged them to accommodate our cable box and DVD player. The larger boxes hold photo albums and such, them smaller ones aren't as useable. Maybe I can store our winter socks and scarves?


I'm super happy about how this project turned out. It's a much better look than the old Ikea shelves I've been carting around since college.




Thank you to everyone who gave me encouragement along the way on this one. It was definitely an undertaking!

Linking here 


The Humble Brag Supporting Habitat for Humanity
Read more at http://diyshowoff.com/2013/08/15/before-and-after-diy-contest/#DlHqDqOhFOFmE5zd.99

34 comments:

karen@somewhatquirky said...

absolutely love this. Funny - I was just thinking about your blog today then I saw your post on G+. Hope all is going well.

Mally said...

Unbelievable. So awesome. I love it.

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

This is gorgeous! I can't believe that you made that from what you started with! Amazing!

Unknown said...

That is one Fab redo. Popping by from Domestically Speaking Party. Tabatha @ Chic By Tab.

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

I love it! Fantastic job!

Megan said...

What a fantastic piece of furniture! You did a beautiful job. I love it!

Kathy said...

WOW! Talk about trash to treasure! I love this creative project and it is so perfect for a TV console. I am visiting from the Power of Paint Party. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Kathy
http://pearlsinparadise.blogspot.com

Jenna said...

You lucky dog! This was such an amazing find and you made it look gorgeous! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-linky-party-2.html
Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Susan @ SunflowerHugs said...

Very, very cool. That was a great find to begin with, but you turned it into a masterpiece.

Feral Turtle said...

Wow Rachelle!!!! It looks amazing. You did such a good job! That's one of the best trash to treasure projects I have seen.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I can't tell you how much I want to knock over a bank for their banker's boxes. I'd leave the contents of course.

Stampin' VMG206 said...

What an awesome project! I love the legs you added and the wood top.
I'm visiting you today from Too Much Time. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment and Link Up, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
Medicine Cabinet Makeover

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Brilliant! I love how it turned out. I'm featuring your console in the PoPP Spotlight this week. Thanks for joining the party.

Anonymous said...

Awesome upcycle! I love the look of these for a console. I never get lucky enough to find cool pieces like this - or maybe I don't have enough vision. ;)

Unknown said...

So freaking cool! Would love if you could come by and share at the Give Me The Goods Link Party {1 party, 5 blogs!}
www.dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com

Julia @ It's Always Ruetten said...

Hi! Found this post via Better After! I love everything about this makeover! I love the Mid-Century look and am totally jealous you have this! :-) I've shared with my Facebook followers. Keep up the great DIY projects!

Cheers,
Julia
It's Always Ruetten

Shabby Marilyn said...

Clever and one of a kind! Great find

Jen @ Girl in the Garage said...

I absolutely love this! And I totally would've bought these also, things like these rarely come around. I'm a blogger now too but I worked in banking for 10 years... and I think you need to (carefully) pry open the locked drawers, you never know what you might find in there! ;)

Emily said...

I love this! I have been looking for a card catalog (remember those?) but never thought of safe deposit boxes. I love that they are removable. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for linking up to The CSI Project. You have really created something different here :) You really should try to open the rest of these boxes I am so currious to whats inside!

Jenna said...

Wow this looks fantastic! Such a clever way to repurpose something so utilitarian. Visiting from The CSI Project!

bree johnson said...

this is gorg found on csi!

Cocalores said...

Very unique! Love the legs you chose, too!

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

Brilliant! That made a perfect console, and I really love the two-tone top.

Donna said...

Amazing what you have done with this industrial piece of furniture! I absolutely love it. I really like it in white (the white really softens it) and it looks so great in your bedroom. Thanks for joining in the link up today. : )

Unknown said...

wow, wow, wow. so great, it looks like a million dollar baby...

Kylie said...

Very nice! You are a clever clogs Rachelle, I've got to check out your d.i.y. pendant lights!

Lea said...

What a wonderful revamp. Amazing. I actually love both the before and after.

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

I love this! I've been looking for retro/vintage filing system similar to this for my home. :)

www.wildflowercreative.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

i would love to feature your card catalog if this would be ok please let me know,
lauren

The Boho Abode said...

Oh My Gosh! I'm in love, it's seriously the coolest Media Console Ever!

You're totally going to win OPC's contest this week. Just my opinion, lol.

XO,
CorinnaAshley.com

Unknown said...

I used to work at a bank...and I would have NEVER thought of this. It is beautiful, I love how functional it is!!

I would love for you come link up at my Furniture & Paint Party!


http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/08/furniture-and-paint-party-10.html

Unknown said...

This is one of the coolest TV consoles I have ever seen! I'm definitely going to keep my eye open for safes in Edmonton that I can use for something similar, though I wish I could just buy yours! So cool.

Tam Campbell said...

OMG - this is delicious. I wish I could find something like this!