Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Future Coffee Table Progress

So you may or may not know that I have been lusting after this coffee table for some time now. However the price is way out of my limit for spending on furniture. So I had this brilliant idea to try and make one for myself.


I even went on a reconaissance mission to check it out in person to see how it was made. As you know that mission was a failure. But after studying the picture I have an idea of how it might be put together and drew up some plans-



And while I was studying up and doing my research I came across this table on the Viva Terra website. I like the simple design, it's the along the same lines as the first one I saw but might be easier to make. The top is made of recycled railroad ties; which is cool. I don't think I can get a hold of any old railroad ties but I bet I can make something that looks similar.


So while I was drawing up plans for the first table I drew some up for this one as well. 




I really think I am leaning towards this one as a favorite because:

A. I like how it feels more open and not as bulky

B. I think it would be easier to make

I don't have a lot of experience distressing wood but I think I can give it a good try. I think it would be easier to make these than it was to make my end tables. So in about a month or so I'm going to go for it! Wish me luck, I think I'm going to need it!

On a side note I had posted about the agate stone I had bought and was planning to make some necklaces out of the slices. I was semi positive my I could use my Dremel with the Diamond Drill bit to drill the hole. I mean, it has diamond on it; the strongest stone right? Wrong. It barely made a dent. 



I haven't given up yet though. A lot of my projects go like this, I just need to approach it from a different angle. I need to find a tungsten drill bit and try that. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Am I the only one who has projects go awry? Does anyone else lust after things you see in magazines, and try to figure out how to make them?

Hope your having a great week!

1 comments:

RedBettySummer said...

Failure during a project is how we get better, and are inspired to keep going. I love your inspiring posts. Can't wait to see how the coffee table works out. Incidentally, I have never been that interested in recovering chairs but you make it sound so easy and yours looks so good, I may just give it a try. Thanks for sharing. Happy creating.