Friday, July 15, 2011

String Chair Style

While we were on our vacation in Acapulco we had time to tour different parts of the city and see some local culture. The food was great! The drinks were awesome! And they had the coolest chairs!


Seriously- everywhere we drove we saw people taking siesta in these cool string chairs. I happened to snap a picture of one with the strings on and one with the frame only.



I'm the first to admit that I have a chair obsession. I don't know what it is about the chairs that I love so much- maybe the simplicity of them, or that everyone had a different color, or the fact that they string the chairs themselves. I was asking the taxi driver about them and he said that everyone in Acapulco has a chair like that. He sa

I was trying to figure out how to stuff one in my suitcase and bring it home but wasn't able to. I could just picture a few of these on our patio, me lounging the afternoon away- but alas it shall remain a dream.


What made me bring this up is that ever since I saw those chairs in Mexico it seems like they've been popping up here and there. 

I saw this article on 2modern about a The Dock Kitchen, a resturaunt in the UK. Look at the chairs they have on the patio!


The string chairs!! They look all fancy and cool out on the patio. And look at everyone just lounging and relaxing in them. I'm so jealous! 

Where can I get some of these chairs!

I briefly considered trying to make some, but scrapped that idea since I don't know how to bend metal, and you know, a whole list of other issues. But I did see this alternative on the Readymade website.


Hmmm, Stringy? Check! Loung-y? Check! Easy to follow instructions? Check!!

Filing this one away in my future projects folder!

In other news we are still unpacking boxes and getting the house set up. I'm hoping to have some mostly done rooms to share this weekend.

Hope everyone is staying cool in the summer heat!








4 comments:

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Just saw your coffee table post on Brooklyn Limestone! :D

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow these chairs are really cool looking. I don't think I have ever seen any like these!!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

This is such an interesting post...love to see original photos. Thanks!

Kathy said...

Oh wow! I like that a lot! That would definitely be an awesome DIY project!