Monday, July 18, 2011

New House Tour

Mountains of boxes, drowning in packing paper, stuff stuff and more stuff! Augh! How have 3 people accumulated so many stuff? (I swear having a baby doubled the amount of things we own.) I went through a lot of our things and gave them away before we moved but there still seems to be so much.

You never know how much stuff you have until you have to unpack it all and place it into a new home. 

With that said I do have a few rooms to share with you in our new house. And just a disclaimer: theses rooms aren't "finished" but I think are presentable to show you all.

First off, our living room! Bigger than our last one, bright and airy, high ceilings, gas fireplace- wow!



We're renting the home so there's only so much we can do. Our landlord recently replaced the carpet, I'd like to find a large rug to help anchor the space. I also need to hang our curtains, I'm using our old green ones for now, I might look for something more neutral, I haven't decided yet.

A big project is going to be reupholstering my orange chairs


The Hubs has warmed up to them, he even admits that they are comfortable and he likes them. But they do need new fabric. The orange is a little out there and is dirty and worn in some places. Still mentally preparing myself for this challenge. (Though I did see an auto upholstery place here in Altus, so worst case scenario I can see how much they charge...)

Another project for this room is the TV console. It used to be Con-Man's dresser in his old room. He now has a large closet with lots of shelves, so I decided to repurpose his dresser for our TV stand.


In our old house we had the TV hung above the fireplace. This time around I didn't want to drill huge holes in the walls since we're renting and the fireplace is taller in this house than in our last one. 

I'm hoping to sand some off the white paint and expose some of the natural wood to make the console look a little more sophisticated. That and some new hardware will finish off this project!

Next up is the breakfast nook. We have a breakfast nook! How cute is that?


Not a lot to do in here, it's pretty basic. I was thinking about changing up the light fixture. There's nothing wrong with it, its nice and recently updated. I'm feeling that something more contemporary would look better with the furniture though. I can't do anything to drastic since I don't actually own the home. We'll see what I come up with.

I used our same dining table, but while visiting my fam. in Houston I swung by Ikea and picked up some new dining chairs.



I really like them, it's the Jules Guest Chair. They're actually an office chair but they work perfectly as dining chairs. (And cheaper than most of the actual dining chairs Ikea sells!) They are easy to clean and really sturdy. 


If your wondering what happened to my other dining chairs they are chilling in our "Formal Living Room" along with a mountain on empty boxes waiting for me to find a dining table for them. Another project to think about.

Also in the breakfast nook are these architectual wall hangings. 


I found them in New Orleans a long time ago and have been carting them around just waiting for an opportunity to display them. They are mismatched but I love the crusty rusty look of them. They are the backs of old aluminum gliders and they were the last 2 the guy had- he sold them to me for $10 each. Not to shabby.


Other than that the room is finished besides maybe some sheers. And the room feels a bit empty, so maybe a buffet or console would be nice to finish it off.

So- onward with the tour! We now have a formal living room! I honestly don't know what we'll do with all this extra space but I'm trying to make the most of it. 


I used the couch that we had in our old sunroom and the rug from our old living room. the coffee tables I made are in here along with another old architectual piece I had. This one I found back in Houston while still in high school. It's one of my favorite finds ever! This room is finished for now, it's basic but I think it looks nice.

Our bedroom is semi presentable so I thought I'd show it to you.


The shelving is old Ikea shelving I've had since college. It's two pieces, one piece use to be in our office but we have the space now to keep them together again. It's needs some styling and pizazz, and some way to control those cable wires but it's good for now.


My favorite comfy loung-y chair is in here! Yay! And of course our bed~ and I am the first to admit that I am not good at making beds and I am ok with that. So don't expect perfection here:


Oh- but some exciting news! While getting our bed all set up the Hubs actually mentioned he would like some new bedding. OMG! I thought I had imagined it but it's true. He, like myself, is tired of our old bedspread and mismatching sheets. So stay tuned for a change with that.

Something I wanted to try in here is a wall stencil. I won one in a contest from Made By Girl and haven't used it yet. 


I thought it would make a good accent wall for behind the bed. Can't wait to try it out.

On top of all these projects I wanted to give Con-Man's room a more "Big Boy" feel since he's two now, a guest room and an office to deal with, and I'm starting a little veggie garden. So much to do I'm not sure where to start. 

Hope you enjoyed the tour for now, sorry for the long post. How have you dealt with unpacking and rearranging in a new home? How do you organize all the projects you want to accomplish?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I love the new place and all the ideas you have for it! Definitely excited to see what new bedding you find to go with that awesome stencil idea you have!!! Oh... please start all this soon lol.

Lisa @ Cozy Condo Living said...

I love your new house! You have great ideas for making it a home. The rusty artwork is great. Thanks for sharing the back story. I love finding treasures like that (especially when they're cheap). I'm also lovin the TV on the dresser look. I don't know if you ever visit the Addicted2Decorating blog, but Kristi turned an old dresser into a TV stand. She did a great job!