Sunday, July 24, 2011

Veggie Tales

This past week between the unpacking and lamp hanging I decided to try and find out if I have a green thumb or not.


Our landlord left behind some large plant containers and said we could use them as we pleased. I've always wanted to try and grow a vegetable garden and thought this was the perfect opportunity. I did some research and found that tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, basil and other herbs grow well in containers.


So while browsing Walmart the other day (one of the few things to do around here) and I saw these poor little cherry tomato plants struggling to survive in the extreme heat we've been having. Most people have already bought their plants for the season and these guys were the few that were left.



I know it's a little late to be planting but I felt bad for them, what if they would never fulfill their tomato destiny? I bought them, roma tomatoes, basil, pepper plant, and spinach. Walmart had zucchini but they were already brown and burnt to a crisp. Poor guys...





I planted them all in their planters, not without help of course!


And after a little watering and new soil the plants seems to perk up right away.



Since they're in containers my plan is to keep them shaded when it's hot and I'll be able to take them inside when it gets to cold.




So grow grow grow little plants! Be the Little Garden That Could!

4 comments:

Eternal Earth Beauty said...

Good luck! I tried the same thing this year....so far I have a few things growing...and a lot of weeds! How come its so easy to grow weeds but not veggies? I don't even have to do anything...the weeds just grow! Heh

Anna said...

You should leave the tomatoes in the sun, even when hot (they like lots of sun) and just make sure to water them A TON. Seriously... I water mine at least twice a day.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

All of your plants look great! I know you will have an awesome harvest!

Kathy said...

Love it! My hubby and I just started a veggie garden for the first time this year and we're super excited to see what happens! I recently posted a status update... check it out if you get a chance! Love your blog!!