Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Come On Pottery Barn

I like Pottery Barn as much as the next person. Their furniture is classic, well made, and beautiful. But sometimes I have to wonder about them. While perusing through the latest Pottery Barn Catalog the other day, I noticed several items that had me thinking- "Come On Pottery Barn, I could totally make that for a lot less than you are charging."


Some examples:


The Alden Headboard made from Reclaimed wood




I think this is gorgeous, I love the look of old reclaimed wood. But this has me wondering- couldn't I just reclaim some old shutters from the Habitat Restore or a thrift store and do this on my own for a fraction of the price?

Then I saw this Rustic Organizer which I really liked:


What I also saw was that Kit from DIY Diva already made one of these and gives step by step instructions on how to make your own!

I've seen plenty of talented bloggers make signs similar to this one for less that $200 I'm sure:


I love how people have taken this idea and personalized it for themselves.

And this clock:


You could buy a plain clock face and cut a circle out of a piece of wood and you're done!

Another possibility is the Griffin Chandelier:


The frame itself is pretty simple, you could probably find one similar to it for less and add some rustic ropes to it. Boo Ya!

There are plenty more but you get the idea. So what am I trying to say here? That Pottery Barn does have nice stuff and is good for inspiration. But you can get their look for less by thinking out of the box and a little elbow grease.

What do you think? Do you peruse furniture catalogs for project ideas for your home?


3 comments:

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

We have a pottery barn by our home and I LOVE their products and style, but it's out of my price range. But I am grateful for all the inspiration they come up with!

Kathy said...

Oh I sooo know what you mean! I'm in the process of gathering some DIY ideas for our bathroom out of their beach catalog. They definitely provide inspiration.. but my wallet can't handle the majority.

Anonymous said...

I just did a post on this very same element Target pumpkins vs. Pottery Barn pumpkins. I love Pottery Barn too, but sometimes you've got to wonder about their prices. Robin@highpointcircle.blogspot.com