Tuesday, August 16, 2011

DIY: Fail

I like to keep things real over here on my blog, that's one of the reasons I named it "Adventures" in Creating. That's why I thought I'd share this "fail" with you. ;)


As I've said a few times before, a lot of what I do is based on an idea and scheme I get in my head. I think about and research the best ways to go about implementing said idea and scheme. Most of the time my research pays off and my projects turn out successful. 


Other times, well they just, don't. 


This was one of those times. Like a lot of the country Oklahoma is going through a major heat wave. The Con-Man and I are stuck inside most of the day which can get old especially for a rambuncious 2 year old. Our rental is in a new neighborhood built on old farm land- this means no trees. No trees = no shade = barren desert backyard.




So I wanted to figure out a way to get some shade in the yard, preferably off the patio. I've always loved what Morgan of the Brick House did for her yard. She used a Sun Shade to create a cool spot to hang out in and eventually will put a pool under it.




I was pumped when I saw Overstock had their Sun Shades on clearance! I bought on 11'x11' for only $30. Score! 


My main problem is that usually you need these things secured to the side of your house or have posts secured in a hole with poured concrete. As a new renter I didn't think my landlord would be please with large holes dug in his yard of drilled into the side of his house. 

So I brainstormed a way to do a temporary set up that I could easily take down as I needed. I was all excited to write an awesome post about how I bought and cut posts for it, poured concrete, hung up my shade and let Con-Man play his heart away in his new shady yard.



Everything seemed to be on task until I tried to hang up my sun shade. My posts kept toppling over with the slightest breeze. After a few unsuccessful attempts I thought if I weighted them down with bricks that might help.

But no....



Ugh Curses! Obviously I need to rework this plan, I haven't completely given up on it yet. I will have shade in my yard and it has to be soon. It's not getting any cooler around here anytime in the near future!

8 comments:

Holly Gruszka said...

So true, we learn by our mistakes but that's part of the fun I guess and how you get "good" at doing stuff. Well, will be interested to see your "success" shade post. What a great deal on the umbrella!

bquin said...

maybe if you try tie-downs like you use for swingsets and party tents? just an idea and I don't know if it will work, but try drilling a hole in the post and with wire attached to tiedown or anchors in the ground it will work. That doesn't call for big holes in the ground.
Blenda Quin

chris said...

Rats! Hopefully another possibility will open up.

Lavina said...

Concrete deck piers might work. Good luck.

Tricia said...

I love the idea of the sunshade. It is a bummer that it did not work out. What if you dug down into the ground just enough to drop your buckets and posts inside? Then when/if you move, just fill it back in with soil. IDK if it would work, but it might be worth a try. Either way, don't give up! Everybody deserves a break from that heat.

xo*tricia

The B's said...

I feel your paint - it's been hovering around 105 here in Nebraska! Good luck with the shades!!!

Renee said...

If you don't want to sink them permanently, how about digging small holes and dropping in your buckets? Easy to remove if you move, when the season's over, when you need to mow...

Anonymous said...

hook you sail from the cup hooks (you may have to screw in heavier ones) under the eaves, then put your post in bigger pots (wal-mart has those big plastic ones pretty cheap). You can actually put your buckets in the pots, backfill with potting soil, and then also use them as planters also.

If you decide to sink them in the ground, then watch out for the in-ground sprinklers! they run about 6 inches of the patio all the way around.