Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Road Kill Rescue 2: Small Dresser

You may remember this little dresser from the furniture road kill I picked up a week ago:



It was dirty, sadly neglected, and missing the bottom drawer. Not to fear though! With some thorough cleaning, tightening of legs, some TLC it now looks like this!



Boo Ya! Cute or What?

It didn't need a ton of work and I think it looks great! To get it to this point (after cleaning the heck out if it) I did a light sanding over the surface, then came over that with a coat of primer.


Then I used Rustoleum Glossy White spray paint and painted it.



After it was all dry I came back with a piece of sand paper and hand distressed along some of the edges.



To fix the problem of the missing drawer a curtain made out of old pillow cases did the trick. I hung a wire secured by screws on either end across the top of the hole where the drawer was. I cut the pillow cases down to size and used Stitch Witchery to make a hem for a pocket where the wire would run through. 



And done! No more weird 70's/ 80's yellow here. This little dresser has a whole new life. Another great thing about it is that it cost me next to nothing to do. I found the dresser, had the paint on hand from another project, and the pillow cases were left over from the sheet sets I used to make Con-Man's curtains.




I love it when furniture is given a new lease on life! What is your greatest furniture road kill rescue? This one is up there at the top of my list.


17 comments:

Ange said...

Looks awesome!!! You did a great job with that roadkill rescue! How's the house coming along? Are you settling in and meeting some people? We are feeling like we've lived here forever and it's great!

Lisa @CozyCondoLiving said...

Rachelle,
Great job on this table. I'm impressed with your spray painting abilities. I could use some practice. I have to admit that I actually liked the original color, but I'm into gold right now. I think that your table would work great in a girl's room!

Courtney said...

Distressing was the right choice on this one, it really makes it! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment, it's nice to meet you Rachelle!

Two Thirty Five Designs said...

Well Done!! I headed over after you commented on my entry chairs on my blog, twothirtyfivedesigns. Thanks for visiting, I am your newest follower and would love the follow back ;). Fabulous work!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

how cute is that? what a great save with the curtain!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Now, that's a great little re-do...

Blessings,
Spencer

Athena said...

Terrific - Please consider linking up to the Success U Wednesday Linkup Party at www.thestuffofsuccess.com

Mally said...

This came out so cute. I love the little curtain. Great Job as usual.

The Charm of Home said...

Rachelle,
Very cute makeover. Love the little skirt in place of the missing drawer. Very smart! Thank you for linking it to Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice makeover. Great idea using the skirt.

Amber *SaltTree Creative* said...

how sweet! lovely job... the curtain really finishes it off :)

Mariaelena said...

this is great...I like it better without the drawer and with the cute curtain you added....come on over for a visit....
Mariaelena....

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Great idea with the skirt! It looks like it supposed to come like that. :) Very sweet.

PS I've got a $50 cash giveaway going on at my blog right now. Come by when you have a chance! :)

Anonymous said...

I love how it turned out!

Deborah March said...

SO very pretty...so feminine...love your re-do!

Tammy said...

What a great rescue! my hubby just found an old desk along side the road--I can see the potential, but it has mildew on it--was that what was on your little piece--if so what did you clean it with? Do you think it is worth trying to clean up? I am your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime too:)

Carly said...

So beautiful! Amazing transformation!
Carly