Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ceiling Fan Update

This weekend here in Texas it has been rainy and cold. Some people would be bummed out by this but I took it as an opportunity to get some stuff finished around the house. 


First on the list is the dated ceiling fans in our bedroom and in Con-Man's room. It's something I've been meaning to get to for a long time but have been putting it off.







I'm thinking late 70's early 80's? Anyway I didn't want to splurge on a new one since this one works well and we use it a lot in the summer time; so I thought I would bust out the spray paint and get to work.

I started by taking off the blades and globes and taped off the bulbs. I then taped around the top of the fan so I wouldn't spray paint the ceiling.


Old Globes. Blah...


Ready to paint!

I had to open all the windows to vent the room from all the spray paint but the end result was worth it. I choose a Krylon paint with Brushed Nickel finish.


I bought new globes at Walmart of all places- they were only $2 each! I also bought a new fan pull as well. I painted the blades white, they were originally faux wood with an odd pattern on them.


I think it turned out great! It only took about and 1.5 hrs for all the prep, painting and clean up. I did it all while the Con-Man took a nap! Not bad, and it cost about $15 for everything. I do want to buy some frost spray paint to cover the patten on the large globe, maybe I'll get to it tomorrow. ;)


I love a quick project that makes a big impact. Anyone else been working on a quick project this week?

**UPDATE! Several people have asked whether or not painting our ceiling fans was a good idea or not; because supposedly the paint can get in the motor and clog it or the weight of the paint on the blades will wear the motor down. In my experience it hasn't been an issue. We painted the fans and used the often for about a year. We have since moved and have been renting the house for 2 years and have not had any issues come up from our tenants. For me, painting the fans was not an issue. I figured they are at least 20 years old and if I can give them a quick update and for some reason the motor does give out al least I didn't have to look at an ugly fan for those years. The other option was spending lots of money on a new one right away. For me it was a win. Anyone else have an experience to share?**



And don't miss my newly repainted master bedroom!



34 comments:

ArtfullyJune said...

Wow, what a great makeover. Looks wonderful.

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

Wow, what a quick, cheap, and easy improvement. It looks great!

Stephanie
dirtandlace.com

Kristina @ A Home Made by Kiki said...

It looks great! We have a very dated ceiling fan in our bedroom that I am getting ready to paint so I loved this post.

I'm your newest follower and would love if you followed me too!

http://ahomemadebykiki.blogspot.com

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

I love easy transformations like this!

I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Wow! Who would have thought a can of spray paint could accomplish that??? Great job!

Janelle said...

Love your idea! I have a similar ceiling fan installed in my living room and I've been wanting a new look for a while. I might try this one. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

Looks great! I really want to do this with our fans too. The old brown and brass is just so ugly!

Life in Rehab said...

Nice job, and way to keep a perfectly good fan out of the landfill!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Rachell...

Ohhh my gosh...that was quite the transformation! It doesn't even look like the same ceiling fan, of course, I realize that was the point! Hehe! I love the silver...and white together! Very pretty, my friend! Thank you for sharing your creativity and beautiful home with us!

Warmest winter wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

{oc cottage} said...

What an "update"! WOW!

m ^..^

Mary said...

This is an awesome post, I would really love it if you linked this up to Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage as well! Have a nice Week! Mary :O)

Savannah Granny said...

Such a neat idea. I would have been so frightened to paint it on the ceiling. It looks brand new and updated. You were right about the time frame. Early 80's. I just got rid of one. Wish I had seen this first.
I am having a giveaway. Please come by and sign up. I am a new follower. Any lady that update a fan like that is my kind of lady. Ginger

{ProtoDoom} said...

Very nice! Every room in my house has an ugly in it's own special way ceiling fan. I quake in my boots at the price tag to replace them all.

I think I'll pick up some spray paint instead!

Alicia {ProtoDoom.com}

My Serendipity said...

Oh my gosh..I just got rid of two fans like this and replaced them with updated ones..I could have saved a ton of $$! Thanks for sharing..I will remember this for the other fans in the house..I am not digging the gold on them anymore :)

Beth

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great makeover. I have one that definitely needs attention. Yours turned out wonderful. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Sherry from Alabama said...

I've been wanting to paint a couple of our out-dated fans. I'm so happy to see the beautiful results you got!

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Court said...

Wow! Great makeover! I like how you kept the fan up instead of taking it down.

Ginger said...

Quick change! Not bad! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

KimMalk said...

Wow, you'd never know it was the same fan. It looks great! Blessings, Kim

Megan Gunyan said...

Looks great! You're brave--spray painting on the ceiling? My kind of re-do-er! ;)

abeachcottage said...

Thanks for sharing this great idea; a can of spray paint equals a new ceiling fan. Love it!

Unknown said...

Hi there! So glad you decided to join our *A MAKE A MONTH 2011* - looking forward to seeing what you make - my makes are always very simple!! love Annie xx

curlyQdesign said...

I love it! I've been meaning to redo a ceiling fan in my house too... I never thought of leaving it on the ceiling! I thought I'd have to take it down!

Anonymous said...

That is so clever! I've been wanting to do my ceiling fan but was dreading taking it down, etc. Thanks for your ingenious idea!!! Fan-tastic!!! LOL

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Such a difference! Great transformation!!

Its So Very Cheri said...

pretty--that is a great transformation.

Cheri

Roeshel said...

Much better! Great job!!! We have one in our bedroom that could use a pretty makeover! ;)

Have a great week!

Roeshel

H Berries said...

I can't believe I just found this! I just moved into a duplex where I have the same exact fan except that it doesn't have the globe, just the 4 lights. I just spray painted it satin nickel with white blades this morning, good to see that someone else has done this and it looks great! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love it! We have the same one in the dining room. I've been thinking of updating it (same color!), but if we start that, I'd like to paint the whole dining & kitchen! It's blue walls & floors with a dark green table and brown (the same brown as the ceiling fan blade) cabinet. It is outdated! Thanks for the motivation!!!

Lori@Color It Simple said...

Beautiful update to your fan. I need to do this for two of mine as well. Thanks for sharing. Btw, did you prime before painting it or just spray painted?

Jalen G Wright said...

What is model name? because i am trying to find that ceiling fan! those ceiling are my favorite ceiling fan when i was little boy in 1997-2003, now it gone, that why i am trying find that fan! so bad!! i love that fan so bad

Anonymous said...

The ceiling fan looks wonderful! I was going to do this to one of mine but was advised by a contractor not to because the added weight of the paint causes the fan blades to sag forcing the fan motor to work harder and eventually short out the fan which could cause a bigger electrical issue! What's your opinion?

Mrs. Mik said...

I would love to try this, but it seems to me that the paint would get inside the motor and gunk it up. As this post was made over a year ago, I would appreciate an update with regard to that issue. It's an awesome idea, and I have at least three ceiling fans that I would love to update like this! Thanks!

Julie

Staci said...

That was pretty easy! Who would have thought that this was once an old ceiling fan? It looks like a newly bought ceiling fan. To make it a little more stylish, you might want to add some vinyl sticker on the blade. What do you think of my idea? It will surely give your ceiling fan a more artsy look. ->Brooklyn Fan & Blower Sales Company