Friday, April 15, 2011

Repainting- The Deck

Our house has been on the market for almost 3 weeks now. We've had steady showings and most of the feed back has been positive. No offers yet but our realtor said in this market it could take a few months to find a buyer.


One of the kind of negative comments we've received is about our deck. We use it a lot, to lounge on while we watch Con-Man play, hanging out with friends and grilling. 





But over time the paint treatment that was done has worn away.




I have some theories on how this could have happened. I don't want to name any names, but I think I know who the culprit may be....


In an effort to make our home look as good as possible we decided to repaint the deck. I started by looking up some tips on deck refinishing:

- Remove all plants and cover any landscaping before using a paint stripper or deck cleaning product
- Don't use chlorine bleach and always do a test spot before using a cleaning product on the entire surface
- A clear coat of urethane will not protect your deck from UV rays
- Clean your deck before applying a finish coat with a powerful hose and scrub with soapy water and wait 24 hours between the cleaning process and starting the painting process
- Look for a finish product that is water resistant
- Don't over apply your finish coat, the wood can only absorb so much before it becomes over saturated
- Wait at least 3 hours between coats

I  bought some paint that is specifically made for outdoor decks I got started painting. (The painting was the easy part...) I went to Home Depot and had them match the paint for me since I'm not sure what the original color was. It matches almost exactly!




I also decluttered the deck by removing my homemade patio furniture and moved all the potted plants so people could see how large the deck is.


The steps look a lot better and Gracie approves!


Anyone else been taking on outdoor projects lately?

















3 comments:

Rajee said...

I came to know you from blog hop. Please follow my blog, http://momsfocusonline.com/time-to-follow-blog-hop-for-july.html and let me know to return the favor

please follow my facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moms-Focus-on-Cyber-World/143647461954

laxsupermom said...

The deck looks great! We've been mulching. 25 giant bags of mulch hauled to the backyard. Some planting, too. Good luck with the house sale. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

No outdoor projects for me yet but your deck look great!