One of the kind of negative comments we've received is about our deck. We use it a lot, to lounge on while we watch Con-Man play, hanging out with friends and grilling.
But over time the paint treatment that was done has worn away.
I have some theories on how this could have happened. I don't want to name any names, but I think I know who the culprit may be....
In an effort to make our home look as good as possible we decided to repaint the deck. I started by looking up some tips on deck refinishing:
- Remove all plants and cover any landscaping before using a paint stripper or deck cleaning product
- Don't use chlorine bleach and always do a test spot before using a cleaning product on the entire surface
- A clear coat of urethane will not protect your deck from UV rays
- Clean your deck before applying a finish coat with a powerful hose and scrub with soapy water and wait 24 hours between the cleaning process and starting the painting process
- Look for a finish product that is water resistant
- Don't over apply your finish coat, the wood can only absorb so much before it becomes over saturated
- Wait at least 3 hours between coats
I bought some paint that is specifically made for outdoor decks I got started painting. (The painting was the easy part...) I went to Home Depot and had them match the paint for me since I'm not sure what the original color was. It matches almost exactly!
I also decluttered the deck by removing my homemade patio furniture and moved all the potted plants so people could see how large the deck is.
The steps look a lot better and Gracie approves!
Anyone else been taking on outdoor projects lately?