Sunday, April 24, 2011

Trial & Error

I wish I could tell you that every DIY project that pops into my head is so easy and turns out great. Well that's not always the case, but that's ok because one of the things I love about projects and DIY'ing is the trial and error and finding new ways of doing things.


This time around I've been collecting wine corks for a while and was ready to do something with them.




A LONG time ago I made this with corks I had saved:


I wanted to try something different this time. I like the way the cork looks on the ends. I thought it would be cool to cut the corks into slices and glue them in rows and make a cork board.



First I tried cutting them with my Dremel tool. It worked on a few of them but ending up leaving burn marks on most of them.




So my first attempt hasn't worked out quite the way I thought it would. But I'm not ready to give up yet. The few cork slices that do look good are pretty cool. I want to try another method of cutting before I am ready to give up.




Do you ever have a project that doesn't go quite as planned? Has anyone ever tried to cut corks this way before that has had success? I'd love to hear about it!

4 comments:

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I wish I had some corks to do projects with. They are sooo cool!

ccoffey said...

I had a recent project fail. I attempted to make a ribbon organizer out of a suitcase. Doesn't sound too hard right? Well, I didn't think so either until I saw just how ugly it turned out. Actually that didn't bother me either. It was the morning I walked it to find all of my ribbon in a pile on the floor because the shelves inside the suitcase had collapsed....that was when I realized my fail.....eh, it's alright. We learn from our mistakes, right?

Cara

http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

I normally have a couple failed attempts before a success. That is why I love people that post tutorials in blog land. They up my success rate!
~Kimberlee, www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

Jessica @ Beautify My Life said...

I'll definitely be staying tuned on this one -- I've been collecting corks for a while now too, and I'm not quite sure what to do with them either.