Saturday, April 9, 2011

TV Location: Over the fireplace?

When our realtor came through our house to look things over one of the first things he told us is to "Get your TV out of the fireplace!"




I know, I know- how embarassing. I've tried not to show that end of the living room because I knew it's not the best design move ever. But in my defense 1930's homes weren't built with TV location in mind. Our fireplace should be a focal point in the room, but where to put the TV? Our living room is our main hang out spot so we use the TV a lot.

There is much debate about TV's and living rooms. Should you try to hide it in a cabinet?




Leave it out in the open for all to see?



I thought of several options for our living room when we first moved in.


On a TV stand on the small wall between the dining entry and hallway entry? Nope, it's the first thing you see when you walk in the door and not good for traffic flow.



Switching the TV and the chair location? I didn't like this very much either. Covering a window didn't seem like a good idea. Even if we had pushed the TV up into the corner I felt it would have been awkward.

We always thought we'd buy a flat screen and just hang it above the fireplace, we just never got around to it though. So with our house going on the market we finally bit the bullet a few weeks ago and bought one.


Hello HDTV! We've been enjoying our new TV and I don't mind "The Big Black Box". It's something that is a part of our culture and lifestyle and I don't feel the need to hide it.

I know a lot of people are against having the TV above the fireplace. Some people feel it it should be reserved for art, or it's to high for viewing, ect.

What are your thoughts on this great debate?

7 comments:

junkermidge said...

We've (I mean I, no one else in my family cares) also struggled with this issue. Our fireplace is definitely the focal point of the room, but we wanted our t.v. there too. The truth is that it is just practical to have the t.v. available because it gets watched daily -- trying to look good for guests, very rarely. So when we built the fireplace we designed it with a big cutout area above (pre-flat screens)with the hopes of a door/cover when guests come. Nope, never happened. So, things just show. SOOO...I'm anxious for the day we take the plunge like you did. Your new t.v./wall/fireplace looks great -- very welcoming. Good luck on the sale of your home.
Midge

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I mounted our TV over the mantel a few years ago. It was quite a job because my fireplace is brick and there was no outlet. After a long process of installing cable, electric, etc. it's up there and we love it. Instead of 2 focal points we now have one. Yours looks great. Well done! ~Ann

Anonymous said...

I personally don't care to see a television above the fireplace, but I understand with space constrants you've got to put it somewhere. Ours is just to the right of the fireplace, beneath a set of bookcases, standing on a console table. Not much different, but we were able to hang a lovely painting over the fireplace this way. I think you'll do fine with your potential buyers. :)

Debra said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. We live in Arizona. The picture on my other blog was taken in Australia (Palm Beach, I think) when my sister lived there & we were visiting.

We have our TV over the fireplace & it looks okay. If I had my way there would be no TV in the living room but 1) we only have one living space - no LR & Family room here- & 2) I have a husband who loves his sports and the TV needs to be in a prime spot!

When it's off it just looks like a big sqaure of black so I have tried to make black a focal color in the room with accects and our couch being black and that works for us.

I think when selling your home having the TV over the fireplace is not a bad idea since it gives you more floor space and makes a room look bigger - plus all the guys will love it since they know they can do it when they move in! :)

Carolynleigh said...

Looks good!! I love my flatscreen (above the fireplace too).
Good luck on the sale!

Barbara Pilcher said...

I think you made a good decision and that it looks fine. There's no use pretending the tv's not important, and the way you've set it up, it's actually a selling point, even though the tv doesn't convey with the house. Although that's always an option if you want to sweeten the deal.

laxsupermom said...

While I find that a tv hung above a fireplace is a little high for me, I agree that it's much better than blocking off a window or messing up the flow of the room. Plus it takes up no space and makes your room feel bigger which'll help with the sale. Thanks for sharing.