Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bathroom Reno Complete!

Finally! After 2 years of living with this lovely yellow and brown flowered bathroom we finally have a new bathroom. If you don't remember let me refresh your memory of the beauty we used to have.




Not only was the decor bad 70's the tile was cracking in some places and the shower was leaking. So it was time for a change. Overall the reno took 5 days and only cost $1000 for materials and labor. Check out Part 1 and Part 2 here.

After those 5 days this is what we have now:


After everything was demo's we installed gypsum board on the walls instead of tile and Hardi Board for the shower surround instead of plaster.



We had our tile guy install 3x6 subway tile. This took 1.5 days for him to install with all the cutting involved. He said it would have been quicker and cheaper to install larger sized tile but I wanted the subway tile to go with the older style of the house.


To save money we grouted the tile ourselves. This wasn't hard to do but was a little time consuming. I just followed the directions on the box on how to mix and trowel it on. And to save an extra step I poured stain blocker in the grout as I mixed it so I wouldn't have to go back later and apply it.






Also to save cost we kept the existing penny tile floor. So after the tile walls were removed there was a gap between the new gypsum board walls and the old floor. I choose to install baseboards myself to cover up the gaps. It was the first time I had done it and I was praying I wouldn't mess it up to bad. Overall it wasn't that hard- I watched a few internet videos on installing crown molding and base boards and I was ready to go.


I just wish I had a mitre saw instead of just a mitre box!




Side Note: Liquid Nails (Which I used to adhere the baseboard and molding, is really hard to get off your nails!)


After all that it was time for paint! Instead of renting a machine that would blow texture on the wall I opted for a pour in texture. You just add it to the paint and roll it on as your painting. For me it works well enough since our bathroom is small but I don't think I'd want it for my whole house. The wall really does feel like sand it it made the paint thick and harder to roll on. But for a few dollars it was worth it for this project!


I had some hardware on hand that I had bought when the West Elm by our house for 60% off was going out of business. I thought I'd use it in our new home but since we're renting now I used it for the new bathroom here.


Overall I think the remodel was a success and I wish we had done it sooner!




What do you think? Major improvement or what?!

Linking here

22 comments:

Mrs BC said...

Your new bathroom looks fabulous, congratulations on a job well done!
x

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Absolutely a major improvement! Great job.

Anonymous said...

Big improvement! we're in middle of our bath remodel too, I feel your pain!!

Crystal said...

I love the color!

Lisa said...

Looks great! Love the new paint color too!

Holly said...

Looks great!

Little City Farm said...

Oh wow, I love it. The colour is nice and I am so impressed with the parts that you were able to do yourself - especially those baseboards. Nice going!

Alison Agnew said...

it looks fabulous...you did an amazing diy job...thanks for sharing this at fridays unfolded!

alison
stuff and nonsense

Anny said...

I love how serene the room looks and am impressed you did so much yourself :)

Wani said...

What a great Ta-da!

Mary said...

Awesome! I love that you did this on a budget too! Congrats!

Debra said...

It looks great! You just can't go wrong with subway tile. Beautiful wall color, too.

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Wonderful job! White subway tile is my favorite. I just don't think it will age the same way as yellow and brown flowered tile :) Enjoy your new space!

The Charm of Home said...

Your bathroom reno looks great! I love the great color and the textured paint. Thanks for linking this up to HSH!
Sherry

Kathy said...

When we moved into our house the downstairs bathroom had this texture and we couldn't figure out how they did it! Nice to know!! Your bathroom turned out great!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Great renovation! Wouldn't it be great if they made something that was easier on your nails, renovation is enough work on its own:)

I'm a new follower!

Pamela said...

Awesome reno! I love the color you chose!

Annie said...

It looks great! We're in the middle of our bathroom remodel and I'm not sure if we'll ever be done! Congrats!

Mindie Hilton said...

Looks great!

I am just reminding everyone about tonights link party that runs Friday evening through Mondays!
I also have an ongoing give away link party now too.
Hope to see you soon.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/
come strut your stuff

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Ahhhhhh. so spa like.Love it. Visiting via BNOTP
Pam @ BeColorful

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Looks great! I love the subway tile, definitely the right choice. Also the penny tile is cute!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous!!