Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Total Genius or Totally Insane?

Sometimes I take on a project or get an idea where I don't know if it's really a good idea or feasible. This is one of those times. 


I saw these chairs at one of my favorite thrift stores and liked them right away. They have a good scale, are comfortable, and have clean lines. After talking the guy down to $60 each I felt like I got a good deal.





After I brought them home though, my husband had different feelings. Usually when I bring home an old piece of furniture or some street side rescue all I get is an eye roll or a head shake and maybe a  "Here we go again." 

This time though, he told me I got ripped off! I don't feel that way- I think these chairs could be really awesome if I reupholster them in a leather look fabric like this:


The fabric I'm looking at is pretty inexpensive. But I got a quote to reupholster them and it was $350 per chair not including the cost of fabric! So maybe my husband is right, maybe I made a bad decision this time. 

I'm thinking about tackling the upholstery job myself. I've seen lots of bloggers take on this task themselves with great results. There are lots of videos online that show the basics. It would be a big task and I really hope I don't mess the chairs or fabric up. 



So what do you think? Did I make a huge mistake with the purchase of these chairs? Or should I look at it as an opportunity to learn a new skill and (hopefully) end up with some awesome lounge chairs?


10 comments:

Kathy said...

Buying furniture for reupholster is always a 50/50 chance. I can see the potential in these chairs and would definitely DIY the project. I'm about to do a coach.. my mom is helping me, but that won't be for another month. She's a seamstress...so maybe try finding a local one by you who does chairs? May save you some $$. :)

NicoleD said...

Just keep in mind that working with leather/vinyl/pleather type material is difficult. If you are going to DIY it, I would use an upholstery grade fabric, especially if it is your first time. My family owns an upholstery business and I can't tell you how many half finished projects people have come in with for us to fix. It is definitely more difficult than it looks, which is why labor costs tend to be high. The good news is that older furniture was built to last and is usually worth the investment! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Unknown said...

I like the chairs they have that 50's post modern look that's in right now. Upholstery is like anything else you have to learn and when you do its not that hard. I took a class years ago but haven't done any in a long time. I say go for it. even if you mess up you can still have the pros redo it

Foundinthe-ALI said...

Oooo. hard call. I love the style and the look of them. I would have wanted them too. For me, $60 for both would have been a better deal. I re-upholstered a chair but it was a little more simple style. It was easier than I thought.

have you seen the tutorial where they Painted a couch? You should try that! of course I can't find the link now but there are lots of tutorials if you google it.


I can't wait to see what you do with them!!

heres my chair: http://foundintheali.blogspot.com/2011/06/chair-i-found-in-ali.html


Ali
foundintheali.blogspot.com

jandjhome said...

I found your blog because of your slip covered chair. I think if you can do that, you can do these two lovelies. I love the lines of them and of course those legs. I'll be waiting to see what you do.

Lydia said...

New skills are good. Good husbands are even better. It all depends on what about the chairs he doesn't like. I it is the line, chalk it up to experience.

Upholstery can be tricky- one slip of the scissors and you better be able to get more fabric.

Good luck on your decision!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

They look comfortable...give it a try...or get some bids from professionals. I am a chicken.

MulticoloredPieces said...

I just found your blog and really enjoy it, very creative--I'm a follower! As for the chairs, it looks like they'll take some time to re-do, but, if you've got the time, why not? Their design is rather neat.
best, nadia

Maria said...

I love, love, love the chairs and they will look incredible reupholstered. I live in South Florida where vintage and second hand items are NOT cheap. Often more than brand new. So $60 each would be good for here.
As for upholstering, it's a challenge, but if you don't rush and take each step slowly, and read and watch and review what you have to do before you do it, then I'm sure you can manage it.
I started sewing last year and just took a pattern and made the item. A year later after much blog reading I know so much more than I did back then, and my sewing has improved because of it. And now, I go slow, take my time, read the pattern instructions several times before I take any action. Make sure I understand what I'm doing and why. So, read up before you start is my advice.

Kristin Aquariann said...

They're neat chairs! I wouldn't have bought them at that price because I don't want to attempt reupholstering anything that I can't just simply wrap and staple...but it definitely sounds like it'll be a fun project for you!