Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The One Tool We All Have & Some Inspiration

I've recently found a new tool to add to my arsenal. Can you guess what it is? It's something that we all use everyday- any thoughts?

It's my hairdryer! Yes- my hairdryer has become a tool I've used in two projects recently. First with my updated bar cart and then to remove the marble tops off these side tables:





I bought them in a shop here in Altus for $40 for the pair. I thought that was a good deal considering having new marble table tops manufactured would have cost much more. The bases are cut but not quite my style, so I bought them to repurpose the marble in some other way.

My dihlema was how to remove the marble without damaging it. The shop owner suggested using acetone or Goo Gone to loosen the glue that held them to the base. But I found that there was no way to let the remover set and work it's magic on the glue. I needed another option.

Enter hairdryer:


I ran it on the highest setting all around the edge of the table. Then once the glue had warmed and loosened I was able to gently pry it off with a crowbar. 


So, I for one have a new appreciation for hairdryers! If your looking for a way to loosen old glue off furniture this could be the answer for you! I will say that this dryer gets really hot. I don't use it on my hair anymore because it was frying it instead of drying it.

Now what to do with my newly aquired marble? For now I'm using one of them on my barrel:


But I've also been thinking of how I could update them by making new bases for them:











I love me some marble tables!!! I have no idea how I would make any of these table right now but I'm sure I can work it out. I've done it before and I can do it again. 

How about you? Will you be looking at your beauty tools in a new light? 

2 comments:

Feral Turtle said...

Wow $40.00 for the pair? Amazing! Can hardly wait to see what you come up with! Love the barrel.

Catherine @ Cat on a Limb said...

Dang, I wish we lived near each other, I would totally buy those bases from you! :) The hair dryer trick is definitely one to remember.