Monday, January 28, 2013

Valentines Thumbprint Hearts

Valentines is coming up! Have you bought your sweetheart a present yet? Me neither...I'm such a procrastinator. But; when I do have my present, I have a quick, easy and relatively inexpensive way to personalize your gift wrapping this year. I feel very Martha Stewart-ish!

We've all seen the thumbprint jewelry online- it comes in gold and silver, necklaces and bracelets. Well what about making your own version out of clay using your own finger prints?



If you like these cute little hearts they were easy to make. I used Sculpy Clay- you know that stuff you played with when you were a kid? I bought a pack from Walmart for about $5 and got to work. 



To make them, first preheat your oven to 275 degrees per the package directions. Then roll you clay about 1/4" thick. Next press your thumbs into the clay in opposite directions to create a heart shape. It helps to have deep fingerprint grooves for this project. I found out that my finger prints were almost worn away (to much woodworking?) so I had to enlist the help of The Hubs who happens to have nice deep finger print ridges!


Next cut out your hearts. I liked it kind of messy and hand made looking. But I did smooth out any pointy edges. Once the clay has baked and dried you can sand and smooth any stray edges further.


Since I knew I was going to be stringing my hearts I poked a hole using a pen before I baked them. You can drill the clay once it has baked and dried but this was quick and easy for me.



Then put all your cute little hearts on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. (The baking time will vary depending on how thick you made your hearts- follow the package instructions).


Once they've cooled and hardened paint them up! I used red and gold acrylic paint.



Then you're done! Use your hearts for ornaments on your gift wrapping, wear as jewelry, ect. I like that these have such a personal touch!



Linking here

5 comments:

Feral Turtle said...

These are so cute. You are so creative!

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

What a cute idea! Adorable :)

Mally said...

Love this idea. Very cute.

Jenna said...

These are so cute! I will have to remember to do these with my kiddo next year. We've already done Valentines for this year! Thanks for sharing! Loved having you stop by my blog today!

Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

Unknown said...

Oh we have some of this clay, this would be fun to do. Thanks for sharing!

Also, you replied on a post of mine but you're a no-reply blogger so I couldn't reply back to you. I did a post a while back on how to fix it. See if this helps. Then people can write back directly to you and say thanks. :-)

http://www.talesofthescotts.com/2012/02/blogger-tip-avoiding-no-reply-comments.html