Monday, January 23, 2012

Incorporating Design Trends In Your Home?

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! We actually had some nice weather here in OK (if you discount the major windstorm we had earlier that knocked out our power). I usually like to start the week off with a craft or DIY but thought I'd mix it up a bit and talk about something that I've been thinking about for a while. 


It's the New Year and it's usually a time when I and it seems like a lot of other people reassess their home, clean things out, and change things up. But how much do you really change?


For example, every year Pantone comes out with their "Color of the Year". This year it's Tangerine, last year it was Honeysuckle (I bet a lot of husbands loved that). It's fun, bright and cheery. But do you try and incorporate it into your home or just look at it for fun inspiration?





Or do you try and incorporate it into your wardrobe?



What if you don't like Tangerine? Well did you know that Benjamin Moore comes out with a color of the year as well?!?! Their pick for the year is Wythe Blue. A little easier to incorporate into a home in my opinion.




But which to choose? Orange or Blue? Who is right? Should you go with orange or go with blue. Maybe do both?




And as long as we're incorporating trends, what about Chevrons? Those are cool.



What about pallets? I like the idea of pallet reuse but should I make everything in my house made from them?



Or stenciling? 



Birds?



What to do? Which to choose? 

Should I stencil an Tangerine Cheveron on my wall and hang a pallet made frame with a picture on a Wythe Blue bird in it? 

AUGH! 

That would be a little extreme...

So I guess I'm just wondering how other people deal with the changing trends. 

Do you try and incorporate them in your home each season? 

Do you just look at them for inspiration?

Do you even notice them at all and do your own thing?

6 comments:

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

I think trends only effect how I decorate if I really like them, and they wont be too dated after a few months or even a year or two. Hubby wont let me redecorate every few months so I have to pick things that will still look good next year, or even the year after that.

Peggy said...

Oh apparently I am trendy this year! I have both orange and blue in my house as well as a multitude of naturals. I have to admit I pay absolutely NO attention to what is trendy! Our decor has always been classically eclectic, spanning decades in our entire home, sometimes in a single room. I decorate with what I love and rarely change much other than paint unless we move. We haven't PCS'd as much as other military families but have lived in military housing enough (where we couldn't paint!) to learn to how to make anyplace a home.

Gen @ Color Me Domestic said...

I don't get trends. Most of the time, I don't like trends when they come out, only after a few years and they are old school, guess you could say they grow on me, but take a while to do so! Besides, it's not like I have the budget to redecorate my apartment (not even a house!) every year or few years. And I don't like copying to that extend, I wouldn't feel unique. Unique is more timeless and lasts longer IMHO. I love the pallet trend last year, still trying to incorporate that, but not really a fan of the chevron, can't wait for it to phase out... (I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just my taste). But that's just me :)

Sherry said...

I try not to incorporate too many trends into my decorating, my preference is timeless, I just don't have the time, energy or resources to redecorate every time a trend change. But I love BM Whyte Blue!

Lisa @ Cozy Condo Living said...

I've always loved orange and am excited that it's the color of the year. However, I haven't figured out where to put it in my home. I wasn't aware of the Ben Moore Blue. I was never into blue until I had my son four years ago. Now I love it!

Haley @thedistractedblogger said...

I only reason I know about any of the trends are because of the blogs I read. Personally I do my own thing, but I was excited to hear about Tangerine being the new Honeysuckle because I LOVE orange. I have orange curtains covering three bay windows! :)