Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Photo Wall Inspiration & Tips

While planning Con-Man's room it's gotten me a little nostalgic for times past. I was scrolling through old photos of the fam and I realized we don't have a lot of them around the house. Blame it on digital photography and my laziness. So, everywhere around blog land I've seen some awesome photo walls.










We have this blank barren wall in our living room that is just screaming for a photo treatment:





We have lots of family photos we've taken over the years, and will no doubt have some more when Tiny Falcon #2 shows up. So I was happy to receive an email from Crate and Barrel a few weeks ago giving some tips on planning a photo wall. 


From Crate & Barrel Mailer:


1. Choose a large wall with plenty of room to display your photos.


2. Decide on a theme for framing your photos. Choose from wood, metal, acrylic frames; or mix it up!


3. Use a mix of media. Start with family photos then add drawings, paintings, clocks, or other pieces you love.


4. Spread everything out on the floor. Move pieces around to see which look best next to each other.


5. Use a level to ensure all pictures are straight. Use two nails for larger pictures. (Use my tip for hanging pictures!)


6. And most important have fun!


Thanks Crate & Barrel- I've never bought anything from you but your email has lit a fire under my boo-tay and I'm ready to start planning my photo wall!


Have you done a photo wall? Any advice on how to get started or plan it?

7 comments:

Peggy said...

We have had photo walls in every place we've lived. Its a passion of my husband! This time it is in the hallway but I see that changing some time in the near future. And yes he does lay the whole design out on the floor or has me do a too scale mock up a sheet of paper. The one thing we have been consistent in is having a similar finish on all the frames. It really helps to bring a certain cohesiveness to whole project and brings everything together. But most importantly, have fun with it!! Good luck!!

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

I love photo walls! I made a small one for our dining room area, but I have big plans for our living room in the new house.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Rachelle,

Oh it sounds like fun. Your wall is perfect for a photo wall.

Dee

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Great tips! I really love that last one going up the stairs with all the variety of frames! I always lay my designs on the floor and take pics of each layout. Then I put it on my computer side-by-side and decide which I like best.

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Thanks for the link-love! if there's an Ikea anywhere near your new town you should definitely check out their frame section. They're SUPER cheap.

Courtney said...

I whipped up that pallet gallery to show photos and artwork while I worked out where I wanted to put them on the walls.
I've just this week put some photos up in our hallway. I did them at eye level in varying sizes with the tops of the frames all running in a straight line. I used the command strips and agree with Liz, ikea rocks for frames!!
That wall of yours is a perfect spot! Have fun!!

Haley @thedistractedblogger said...

I prefer the cutting out pieces of newspaper in the sizes of the frames and temporarily taping them to the wall. Easy to move them around and adjust the look.

Young House Love is a good resource for this: http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/03/the-hallway-full-monty/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+YoungHouseLove+%28Young+House+Love%29