Monday, January 9, 2012

Con-Man's New Room Inspiration

*We're currently living it up in New Orleans awaiting the big game- I'm running around the streets of New Orleans with a beignet in one hand and an LSU flag in the other. (No Hand Grenades this trip.) Wish my Tigers luck!*


Well the news is out and everyone knows- we are expecting Tiny Falcon #2 this summer. This means that Con-Man needs to give up the crib and move into a big boy bed. (This will probably be harder for me than for him.) Along with the new big boy bed will come a new big boy room!



Photo courtesy of MiaBella Photography


This is his room right now in a rare semi clean state; mainly because all his toys are currently strewn across our living room...






I haven't done much with it since we moved in; just moved his old nursery furniture in and was done with it. The chalk board walls were already there.

The main things he needs are a new bed, some closed storage (the cubes were great when he didn't have a lot of toys but now they tend to spill out all over the floor- will repurpose it for Tiny Falcon #2's room), some type of book storage, and some less baby-ish artwork.

I was having trouble coming up with an direction for Con-Man's new room. If you haven't noticed from my Pinterest pinning, it was all over the place. I knew I wanted to something car related (Con-Man LOVES cars, trains, planes- anything with wheels) but wasn't quite sure of the look I wanted.

Then bam! Last week I saw this bedding on the Land Of Nod website. I liked the color pallet and the facts that it isn't a "theme" and my imagination was off and running.


I like that you can pull different colors out of the bedding to give the room a different look:




The only problem with the bedding is that it's super expensive. So I'm planning to bust out my sewing machine and attempt to DIY it myself. Augh!!

From there I found these adorable prints on Etsy from Nevedobson. You can choose different vehicles and request different colors. I like the vintage look of them and think they are super cute! 


I like this graphic wall treatment; I want to incorporate something like it into Con-Man's 
room.



I'm thinking of something like this for the curtains, I like the simple block look.



He keeps getting more and more books, I think this is a cute way to store them. Nice and low to his level so he can reach them easily. Another DIY I know- I'm going to DIY myself to death in here!



And I was thinking of painting over most of the chalkboard paint. He really only uses the one large wall and I think it would be nice to lighting things up a bit. (Any one ever paint over chalkboard paint? Is it a priming nightmare?) To store his chalk and other art supplies I like these metal bins. Again I'd mount these low so he can dig around and find what he needs.



I'd like some large scale car themed artwork for his wall. I haven't found the perfect one yet- still on the look out.



And as far as a new bed is concerned there's not much to choose from locally here in the middle of no where; so I'm biting the big one and am going to make Con-Man's bed. I like Pottery Barn inspired one from Anna White's website. I love all the storage! It will be my biggest wood building project to date- wish me luck!



And of course the awesome bullet hole stop sign I found at a vintage shop! I am so in love with it and I hope that as Con-Man gets older he'll grow to love it to. I don't have a lot of experience with teenage boys but do you know one who wouldn't want a bullet hole stop sign in his room? Ultimate coolness factor.



I'll be keeping his current green rug, toy box, train table and will be fixing up his little school desk to match his new them. 

I'm super excited! This will be the first room in our new house that I'm "decorating" all out. I hope it turns out cute and that Con-Man likes it.

5 comments:

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Woah! That room is going to look awesome! Good luck with DIYing all that stuff! I'm sure it will turn out great!

Feral Turtle said...

Congratulations!!!! I am excited to see what you come up with for your sons new room. Love the chalkboard around the bottom of his "now room"!

Anonymous said...

great color combo! FYI the wall book shelves are actually made from gutters...really. The vinal is easy to cut and there are premeade end caps and hangers. They have a nice crown molding look and are super cheap.

Anonymous said...

great color combo! FYI the wall book shelves are actually made from gutters...really. The vinal is easy to cut and there are premeade end caps and hangers. They have a nice crown molding look and are super cheap.

Scarlett859 said...

I saw this on pinterest and thought you might would like it...
http://pinterest.com/pin/90212798755371468/