Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's Mardi Gras Season Ya'll!!!!

Ok, so we've all seen the posts and pinning for Valentines Decor, even some Easter popping up; but did you know that right now at this very second there is something we could all be celebrating right now? That if we lived in Louisiana there would be a parade every weekend, way to much King Cake to go around, beads everywhere and my personal favorite- Cups!





Mardi Gras Season officially starts with the Feast of the Epiphany and ends the day before Ash Wednesday. If we were still living in Louisiana there would be Mardi Gras Balls, parades, and parties to go to. But since we live in the big OK now, no one even knows what Mardi Gras is! We're hoping to go back to New Orleans for Mardi Gras 2013, but until then I thought I'd have my own little celebration and let people in my 'hood know what's happening with my homemade Mardi Gras Wreath.



Using items I already hand on hand (old wreath I took apart, I bought the ribbon a few years ago from Hobby Lobby Dollar bin, along with the gold glitter spray which is actually a Christmas item)

I started by running the three ribbons together around the wreath, bunching them and crisscrossing them across the wreath as I went. Then securing it along the way with green floral wire.



Once I made it all the way around I broke the gold glitter spray thing up into several pieces. Then laid it out to be secured around the back in a circular shape, again using the floral wire to secure it.



Then I added a few obligatory Mardi Gras beads~


Then done! It didn't take long, maybe an hour- maybe. 







So I have my own little piece of Mardi Gras here at home. And luckily when we went to New Orleans for that poor excuse for a Football Game I'd rather not discuss; I did snag a piece of King Cake to hold me over for a while!



Oh ya, and I got some Beignets!! So the trip wasn't a total waste. ;)




Do you celebrate any non- traditional holidays?

7 comments:

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

I think doing something for Mardi Gras would be so fun! I've never been nor celebrated, but I've seen a ton of King Cake on other blogs and it looks delicious!

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

I'm drooling on the screen and LOVE the wreath. I can't believe you just had one slice of king cake! I ordered one from Randazzo's (best cake EVER and they ship overnight so it's super fresh) and ate the whole thing by myself over the course of a week. And now that I'm 3 days past my due date and feeling sorry for myself, I might have to order another. Happy Mardi Gras!

Unknown said...

Liz, that king cake picture was the one I had for breakfast; I ate 3 more pieces at the tailgate we were at. And I agree, Randazzos is the best!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh the wreath turned out so pretty and festive!!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great wreath! I love it.
gail

Karla Do More said...

Loving your wreath. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. :)

Mally said...

Very very cleaver. Love it.