Friday, July 23, 2010

Quick and Easy Way to Hang Pictures

I was hanging some pictures in Con-Man's room and thought it might be a good technique to share. I learned this back in the day when I worked at the furniture store. We changed up the displays often; so we needed a quick way to hang the pictures that went with the furniture.


Do you hate those picture frames that have the 2 hooks on each end for the nails? I do, I never have picture wire and if I didn't know about this way to hang pictures, mine would come out crooked every time. So, try this next time instead:



Lay the picture you are hanging face down. Take some masking tape or painters tape (anything that is not very tacky so it won't peel the paint off the wall) and lay it over the hooks where the nails will go. Then use a pen to mark where the hooks are.



Close up shot of pen mark. Make the mark at the very upper point of the hook. Most are a triangle shape, you will want your nail to go at the most upper point.



Next peel the tape off the picture frame and tape it on the wall at the height you want your picture to hang. Use a level to make sure it is straight. 



Now just hammer 2 nails in at the points you marked on the tape. After you are finished peel the tape off the wall. You are left with 2 nails in the perfect position on which to hang your picture.



See, quick and easy!

I've worked a lot of different design-type places throughout school and so forth; so I've picked up a lot of little tips like this. I'll post them periodlically as I think of them. Or if you have a question about something let me know! I'll answer it the best I can.

Don't forget that it's Creativity Week at Seven Thirty Three Blog! I'm being featured today!!!

25 comments:

Future Emily Love said...

This is amazing! I hate having to make 6 holes in my wall for the 2 I actually want. Thank you!!

Gremma said...

What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing! You have lots of fun things here. Thanks!

Gremma said...

PS I saw the subscribe by email and I was so excited! That's how I follow blogs, so I subscribed, but it was just for comments after this post. Would you consider doing the feedburner thing? Thanks!

Mal Pal said...

This is such a great idea. And so simple. I can never get the 2 hooks straight. Thanks for sharing.

NicoleD said...

Awersome! I'm always looking for new ways to hang pictures straight! Thanks for stopping by my blog. My husband was prior-enlisted in the Air Force before he got out, went to school and got commissioned into the Army. Tell your hubby thank you for his service!

becky said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Mel said...

pure genius, thanks for sharing this tip. Now I just hope I can remember it.
I posted another trick to hanging pictures that have wire.

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Great tip!

Unknown said...

So clever! I'm definitely trying this technique next time I need to do some hanging. :)

All That Glitters said...

That is a really good idea!!! Thank you!

Sassy Sites! said...

great idea! those double hooks are killers!! cute blog! :)

Clean Mama said...

Love this idea! Thanks!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

That is fabulous!!! I hate it when I can't get a picture to hang right.

Leanne said...

Thanks for this great tip.

Powers Fam said...

Crazy great idea!! My husband thought it was pure genius. Thanks for the tip!

Heather said...

this is brilliant! we just moved into a brand new house, and the thought of marring up the perfect walls has kept me from hanging up anything. thanks for the tip!

Sawdust Girl said...

What a great tip. I just learned Diane's tip of using a paint stick and nail for a single hook picture and now this for doubles. Now I have no excuse not to hang some pictures! :-) Sandra

InMyOwnStyle said...

I LOVE tricks like this. I just read another one where they used a paper towel. Double hook art hanging is going to be easy for me now. Thanks for linking up to the Tricks and Tips party.

Happy Halloween.
My best- Diane

Unknown said...

What a great tip! So simple and easy! Thanks for sharing.

Heaven's Walk said...

GENIUS!! I'm using this tip tomorrow! Thanks! :)

xoxo laurie

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

I featured your tip on my blog today! Thanks for linking to our Trick or Tip party!

Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl)

Dixie Redmond said...

Wow. You have solved a 30 year dilemma for me. ;-) Thanks!

Karen said...

Just finished hanging up about a million pictures and shelves on my wall. I thought it would be a total nightmare until I found and used your awesome tip. Thank you so much! This saved me a lot of frustration and time!

The Prudent Pantry said...

This is so smart! I usually just avoid frames with two holes. No more!

I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/prudent-projects-and-smart-solutions.html

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

I wish I had thought of this, but I will be satisfied using this handy tip.

I featured you in my blog. If that's not okay, please let me know so I can remove it.

http://kittnspurrfections.blogspot.com/2013/02/diy-tips-tricks-from-around-web.html?m=1