Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bake'n Up Some Christmas Cheer

Every year for Christmas I usually bake up a bunch of goodies to give to friends and neighbors. This year I still baked up some goods but with a different spin. 


I saw this cute project on Prudent Baby and wanted to try it out. She used Salt Dough to make ornaments, garland, and gift tags for their home. 



I thought I would try it out for small gifts this year. I have some of the highlights but for complete instructions check out Prudent Baby.

Start with your ingredients: 1/4 cup of salt
                                                1/4 cup of water
                                                1 cup of flour

Just mix, knead, roll, and use a cookie cutter to cut out your shapes.



Then bake for 5 hours (I know so long!) at 200 degrees. You want to dry out and harden the dough but not brown it. And just a side note- Be sure to warn your husband that these particular cookies are not for eating. Otherwise he'll be sure to take a bite and then ask you how you could even think of giving these to people. (True story)

Then it's time to decorate! I painted some parts then used Elmers glue and glitter to decorate the rest.





I had fun with this project, it's been a long time since I used glitter and glue. And I thought it was nice to give something to my friends that would last a long time, since the stuff I usually bake doesn't!



Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!






2 comments:

Donnie said...

What a cool idea. Thanks for a sharing it.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Those are pretty cute. I'd love to have seen his face when he took that bite! Too funny!