Monday, September 24, 2012

Childs Play: An Easy Update

Picture this: Your slowly but surely designing and decorating your living room. It's starting to come together, things are happening and you're feeling pretty good. 

But- you have kids who like to play in said living room and their toys have taken up permanent residence. You don't have an extra play room to keep all their things in, the living room is where the family spends the most time so the living room is where the toys end up. And I think we all know kids toys kind of stand out in adult decor- not the most beautiful.



The Culprit

Sound familiar? Its the issue I've been having. I've been wanting to do something about Con-Man's toy box for a while now. It needs to stay in the room so we have a place to store his toys but the bright red and blue kind of clash with my neutral color scheme. 




In addition to the red toy box I bought this Fleur De Lis basket at Ross (love that place!) for a little bit of extra storage. Clearly the two do not mix.






Solution: I went to my local hardware store and picked up some of this Krylon Spray paint specially made for plastic and spray painted the heck out of his toy box.




Now, I did discuss this change with The Con-Man just in case he had an issue with his red toy box being painted white. He was cool with it and seemed excited about the whole thing. 

After 3 cans of spray paint and some drying time the toy box was finished.




Both together:



Much better in my opinion and Con-Man doesn't seem to miss his big red monstrosity so far. Let's hope he doesn't ask me to paint it back to red later down the road!

What do you do about your children's toys in your home? Would you take the liberty of changing up some of their things to fit your decor?

4 comments:

Gen @ Color Me Domestic said...

There's is nothing spray paint can fix!! And this is just proof of that. I like the colors you picked, it works well and it doesn't like odd at all.

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

It definitely makes it blend in a whole lot more! Cute!

Anonymous said...

Adorable! I love that you made the child chest match your decor - That's exactly what I want to do with the little table I bought for my g'babies! Looks GREAT!! Excited to see your finished table your working on too! Hugs, T

tinkerbek said...

Hi! I found this blog on pinterest. thanks for the info as i am getting ready to paint a very simular toy box from her older brother's colors to more girly colors! I have a question, how did you do the door separate colors? did you pull it off somehow, or did you mask out the white areas? thanks!