Friday, October 7, 2011

From Boring to Beautiful

One thing I've been loving about our Walmart here in our new town (I know- it's a stretch to say "Love" and Walmart together but it's the only grocery store around) is the clearance section! They have a ton of stuff on clearance all the time. I've been able to stock up on toys for Con-Man's Christmas presents and a few things for around the house.


The other day I saw they had  a bunch of office supplies on clearance and I grabbed a few of these dry erase cork boards for $3 each. And I don't know about everyone else but I could really use some organization in my life.



They're ok as they are but I thought they could use some jazzing up. I've been saving more wine corks lately and decided it was time to use some more of them. I've found that sometimes when you glue the whole cork onto something they have a tendency to pop off over time. So this time I decided to slice the corks in half and glue them on that way:


Once I had sliced up a bunch of them I glued them around the frame. I finished off the rough edge with some decorative rope trim. And in no time my wipe off board went from boring to beautiful!




And since I had bought a few of them I made one of them a chalkboard instead of a wipe off board. Just a few coats of chalkboard paint did the job:



Yay! This was an easy way to update an everyday item. Which one do you like best? How do you personalize everyday items around your home?

Linking up to The CSI Project!



5 comments:

Peggy said...

These are great!! I have to admit Walmart and I have a love-hate relationship (we won't go into that!) but I am loving what you did with these boards! Now I am going to have to head out to our local walmart and see if I can find any memo boards on clearance. As much as I LOVE chalkboards currently I have a thing for dry erase boards.... not for myself but for the boys' rooms. And trust me they (aka me) need ALL the organization help they can get! Think 3 boys... a senior, a sophomore, a 7th... football, marching band, tennis.... homework, homework, homework.

LOVE the corks!!!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking. said...

Wow what a great idea!! It turned out looking so awesome!!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

This turned out beautiful! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

The CSI Girl said...

Cute idea! Thanks for linking up to The CSI Project. I am going to share on the FB page.

Donna said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing!