Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mmmm! Cake Balls

This past weekend we had friends over to watch the LSU/ Tenessee football game. (if you haven't noticed the Tigers are #1!) Geaux Tigers!!





I was looking for a fun cookie recipe to make that I could add some purple and gold icing to, but I came across my Cake Ball recipe first. OOOooo... I haven't made these in a while. They take a little while to make but are dangerously good.





The recipe I have is from The Dallas Morning News. It's a great article talking about how to make cake balls and suggests lots of different flavoring and color ideas. 


Following their recipe I mixed yellow cake and cream cheese icing for the batter. 



As usual I forgot to take pictures of the rest of the cooking method because I'm so busy pouring over the recipe. But- basically I used a melon baller to scoop the batter and hand rolled them. Then refrigerated them, then took them out in batches to roll them in the icing. I used vanilla almond bark for the icing and added some vegetable oil to the mixture like the recipe instructed. This helped the icing not be so thick and roll easier onto my cake balls. The link to the article has really good detailed instructions on what to do!



I used food coloring to get the purple and gold colors. My favorites are the purple ones. They may not be as pretty as professional cake balls but I can almost guarantee they are just as good.



These were a hit at the party- they are easy to eat and went quickly. It was hard not to eat a whole bowlful on my own!

Do you have any favorite football party snacks?

6 comments:

Erin said...

I've never tried cake balls, but I'm quite fond of chips and Texas caviar.

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Geaux Tigahs! I'm so intimidated by cake balls... I don't know whay, I'm just to scared to try making them! I wouldn't be scared to eat them though!!

Lindsay said...

Those turned out great! They look very tasty! I love cake balls, they are just kind of a pain to make sometimes. :)

Andrea said...

I love these. I can only make them when I have to take them somewhere. Too tempting to be sitting around the house.

Alicia@ ecofriendly homemaking said...

Oh these look delicious. You did an excellent job and the colors are great. I can see how they would go fast!!

Erin said...

I got Texas caviar from my s-i-l from Idaho, so maybe it's an Idaho thing? It's a black bean, corn, bell pepper salad in a limey vinaigrette with cilantro. Really tasty.