Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Coffee Table is Here Again!

I've been so anxious and excited the past few weeks I just can't contain it anymore! In just a few short weeks my MIL is coming in town for a whole week!! WOO HOO! 


What? You don't get this excited when your in-laws come to visit?


Well I do; for a few reasons. First of all she is super fun and awesome to hang out with. Second of all, she says she's coming to visit us but I really know she's coming to visit the Con-Man ;) Which is totally fine with me because this means that I will have chance to have some one on one time with my welder!


Those of you who haven't been around for a while (and those of you who have may not even remember) I started making this coffee table:



Like 6 months ago.... I had high aspirations to finish is in a timely manner but between my job, The Hubs job, and Con-Man I could never find enough time to work on it. I had finished one part of the table but it ended there.

But that's all going to change soon.

I need to decide what sort of wood I want for the top. The original tables I had looked at were made of reclaimed railroad ties. So I did some research around to and priced reclaimed wood. What I found was pretty pricey- one guy quoted $3 a board foot. So for a 12' board that's $36! And I would need 3 or 4 boards at least. Yikes!



It's so pretty though!

Of course I know with some work I can make wood look worn. And I do like the stain on this shelving from The Brick House:


I totally want to make one of these shelves one day. But that's neither here nor there- I have a coffee table to focus on.

So- in the next few days I'm going to scout out some wood. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone tearing down a barn nearby. If not it's off to Home Depot I go. 

I'll keep you posted! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck finding that Barn! I found your blog on Aquariann's blog hop. I am a new follower. Please follow back if you are so inclined. My site is http://scrappybaglady.blogspot.com/

Peggy said...

Good luck with the barn! I wished you lived closer because I know where you could get old wood. We have an OLD farm in upstate NY which has a couple of old buildings which need to be torn down but we are not there so the wind and weather will claim them.

Thank you for stopping by! I can hardly wait to try and make a few of the glasses. We have a BUNCH of empty bottles from French lemonade that are beautiful. In fact our middle son is always commenting on how he would like to have a set of drinking glasses that looked just like them.

Once again thanks!!

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Good luck with your coffee table, the inspiration is awesome. I can't wait to see it when you finish.